Your weekly dose of tips, tricks & tidbits from The Security Zone
- Purchase or renew a flood insurance policy
- Keep important documents in a waterproof container. Create password-protected digital copies
- Move valuables to higher levels
- De-clutter drains and gutters
- Do not walk or drive through moving water. As little as six inches of water can cause you to fall or lose control of your vehicle
- If walking through water, use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water
- Avoid floodwaters as they may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, raw sewage or electrically charged from underground power lines.
- Clean and disinfect everything that got wet. Mud left from floodwater can contain sewage and chemicals
- Take pictures of the damage, both of the building and its contents, for the purpose of insurance claims.